Friday, January 11, 2013

On the Tenth Day, I Sinned

One of my goals for 2013 was to lay off on the yarn buying for a while.  I have a whole, fancy new cabinet full of the stuff, so it's not like I'm hurting for something to knit or anything.  I was doing pretty well until yesterday, when Mom said, "Hey, do you want to go to Michael's?  They're having a sale on yarn."

Gulp.

I went with the best of intentions.  I was needing a pair of size 10 dpns (double pointed needles for the non-knitters- they're used for making circular things, like hats or socks), and I figured it wouldn't hurt to just *look* at the yarn.  And I set myself a small budget, in case there was anything that was just too good of a deal to pass up.

This is what I came home with:


The two giant bags are from Michael's.  The smaller bag is from a small LYS (Local Yarn Shop in knitter talk) called Starstruck Cat.  Mom talked me into going there, too.  And again, I went in with the best of intentions.  This time, I was looking for a set of size 13 dpns.  13s are big, maybe as big around as a finger, depending on how big your fingers are, and they aren't always easy to find.  I came out with the dpns and this beautiful yarn:


Isn't it gorgeous?

The little bag from Starstruck Cat cost as much as one of the giant bags from Michael's, but the yarn from Starstruck Cat is the good stuff: soft, cuddly merino.  It's going to make a lovely hat, for me this time!

Between the two stores, I managed to seriously blow the budget.  But the Michael's stuff was on sale for a really good price, and it's all going to be made into hats for donation, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it too much.

And after all, I've managed to keep my resolution not to buy any more ebooks... so far.

ETA: On the positive side, I've already finished a charity hat from some of the new yarn I bought.  It came out kind of cute, I think!


And a view from the top:





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete