Saturday, October 22, 2011

Any Techies Out There?

I'm seriously considering attending a couple of book conventions next year.  (Scared as hell about whether I'll be able to manage it physically, and concerned about the cost, but still really thinking about it.)  If I'm going to do this, I think that a portable way to tweet/text/email would be smart, to give me an easy way to catch up with people I know online.  (You know, "I'm in the lobby, where are you?")  Also, something that will take decent pictures.  And if I could keep the phone/data charges down, that would be very, very good.  Because I can't imagine myself using it much outside of trips like this.

Can anyone recommend a good device?

I was looking at the iPod touch, but I have some reservations.  It looks like it operates on wifi and does not require a service contract, which is a major point in its favor.  And, it works as an mp3 player, which is another major point in its favor.  (My current mp3 player, which I love, is pretty well maxed out.  If I'm going to add more music to my collection, I need something with more memory.)  But being an Apple product, I also have some deep reservations.  First of all, I generally find Apple products to be way over priced.  Is there something that will give me more or less the same functions for less money?  Am I tied to iTunes on this device, or can I download music from Amazon?  Most of my music has been downloaded piecemeal, a song at a time from Amazon.  I don't want to have to jump through hoops to put the music I've already purchased on my new mp3 player.  Plus, I have never had a positive experience with iTunes, and I don't want to start beating my head against that wall now.  Does the iPod touch take decent pictures?  Are they easy to transfer to the computer so that I can blog them?

Probably, I have other questions, but those are the ones I can think of right now.  Price, ease of use, access.  Anyone have any experience with this device or recommendations for other devices that might suit my needs better?

Thanks, y'all.

Lip Balm of the Day: Peach Melba

1 comment:

  1. I am not a techie (at all). But I had this same issue. I ended up solving it with two devices, both of which I occasionally use around my own area too.

    I started out with a base-model cell phone. It doesn't do anything fancy, and I just buy a bunch of minutes instead of having a plan. Cell phones don't work at my house in the boonies, so I didn't want to spend a lot on a phone. I think the phone itself was $25, and I opted to get $100 of minutes which lasted a year without expiring, but you can also get phones that you just put $10 on at a time.

    This year I also got a Galaxy Tablet, which does everything except make phone calls. (And technically, you can Skype on it...) It connects to the internet so I can get on Twitter and FB and check my email. It takes good pictures easily and also can hold writing programs, games, etc.

    That cost me $200 (on sale, but I think there are all sorts of tablets coming out now, so the prices might get cheaper) and I got the cheapest monthly plan, which is $20. (Way less than a fancy phone.) It can be used as an eReader, too.

    Hope this helps!

    Witchy Betty

    ReplyDelete