Monday, February 8, 2010

It's a Pickle

I have a code for a free ebook that expires later this week, and I can't decide how to spend it! The options so far are:

The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Fallen by Lauren Kate
These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer
Instant Attraction by Jill Shalvis

All of these books have points in their favor, and reasons why they aren't my #1 choice. My reading preference goes like this: ebook, print book, audiobook. Paperback vs hardback is a toss up. Hardbacks are heavier, but paperbacks are harder for me to hold open. Hardbacks are easier because they're logged in the library's computer by title, so I can reserve those titles and have them waiting together for me in one spot. Paperbacks aren't tracked by title, so I have to search the stacks and hope for the best. Either way, I have to actually go to the library to pick them up and return them. Digital books and audiobooks, whether I purchase them or download them from the library, are available from the comfort of home.

Crusie pros: I'll probably want to read it over and over again; it's available from the library but only in audio- I'd rather read it than listen to it; it's a paperback, so if the library does have it, I'll have to find it myself in the stacks

Crusie cons: less expensive than other options- shouldn't I pick the book that's going to save me the most money?; I'm pretty sure I've read it before, and I hate buying books I've already read

Beautiful Creatures pros: I want it BAD; it would cost me $9 for the Kindle version

Beautiful Creatures cons: the library has the hardback version, so I don't really have to buy it; I'm not sure if it's a book that I'll want to read over and over

Fallen pros: it looks like a good read- I like the sample I've read so far; the Kindle version is $9.99

Fallen cons: I don't want to read it as much as I want to read Beautiful Creatures; it's available in hardback from the library; not sure I'll want to re-read it

These Old Shades pros: it's not available through the library; the Kindle version is $9.59; I like Georgette Heyer and I've heard good things about this one

These Old Shades cons: I'm not dying to read it right this second- there are other books I'd like to read more

Instant Attraction pros: I've been wanting to read this author, and this book in particular; it's $8.96 on Kindle

Instant Attraction cons: it's available in trade paperback from the library

So what do you think? Any genius ideas on which book I should pick? And perhaps a better question, why am I stressing so much over which book to get for free? It's not like it's the last book I'll ever be allowed to read or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment