Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Soundtrack

I spent the week working on my Discovery homework- creating a soundtrack for your novel.  This is what I have so far:

Need You Now- Lady Antebellum
Evil (Is Going On)- Jace Everett and CC Adcock
The House Rules- Christian Kane
It's All Been Done- Barenaked Ladies
Everywhere- Fleetwood Mac
Your Man- Josh Turner
Por Un Amor- Linda Ronstadt
Down in the Valley- Pete Seeger
The Forgotten People- Thievery Corporation
I Want to Be Evil- Chiwetel Ejiofor
Guantanamera- Havana Mambo
Somebody to Love- KT Tunstall
The Yellow Rose of Texas- The Cattlemen
Skyline- Court Yard Hounds
The Coast- Court Yard Hounds
Ain't No Son- Court Yard Hounds
Freedom! '90- George Michael

The process has been an interesting combination of logic and instincts.  I started off knowing I wanted to use It's All Been Done (there is time travel in my story and that just seemed to fit) and Need You Now.  Vampire Diaries started up again Thursday a week ago, and although I was a little meh about most of last season, I've found myself obsessed the last two weeks.  So even though there are no vampires in my story, I looked up vampire soundtracks.  Which lead me to the True Blood season 2 soundtrack and Evil (Is Going On) by Jace Everett.  Things progressed from there.  I'd search a song and find a bunch of different versions.  Maybe a particular interpretation of a song didn't work for me, but I'd like the singer or group, and off I'd shoot to check out their stuff.  I just about wore out Amazon, following links and listening to samples.

I wore myself out, too.  Lani was right, this Discovery stuff may look like play, but it's really work.  Overall I'm happy with this list.  I think I'll keep working on it, expanding it, as I move through the class in the next 5 weeks, although not at the same furious pace.

Is there anything you think I should add to the playlist?  I'm open to suggestions.  The story takes place in Texas in the 1800s.  It has time travel, steampunk elements, and a slow growing m/m romance.  I think it could use more folk music, including Spanish and German folk music.  (There was a surge of German immigration to Texas in the mid-1800s, and I think one of my heroes was a German immigrant.)  But as you can see, there's a lot of variety here, so I'm open to a lot of different styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment