Sunday, January 3, 2010

My New Toy

I went a little cuckoo crazy this week and bought myself a Wii. I was a little nervous about setting up, thinking it might be confusing or hard. And I did have technical difficulties- all my stuff is ancient, and there weren't any extra a/v inputs available. So yesterday I went out and got a new rf modulator, and now everything is working fine. I spent some time playing it last night, and I love it!

I tried the tennis and bowling games on Wii Sports, and I'm actually pretty good at them! I've never had a gaming console before, and I haven't played a game with any regularity since the original Super Mario Bros. 25 years ago. So I wasn't sure if I'd be any good at it or if I'd struggle. I think it will take a while to feel really natural with the controller, but it's pretty easy to use.

To get started I bought a used copy of Endless Ocean, and I played that for a while last night. I'll fiddle with it a little more today, but I think I'll be returning this one and trying something different. It was described in some of the reviews as being a relaxing and scenic game. So far it seems kind of nebulous and dull. But it sounds like some of the more interesting creatures don't show up until later stages, so I'll play for a little while longer and see what I see.

In a bit I'm going to set up the balance board for the Wii Fit Plus. That's the real reason I bought the system. I need something to inspire me to get up off the couch occasionally before my butt becomes permanently attached. Water aerobics was doing that for me for a while, but I'm a wimp. The class is still going on, but I won't be back until it warms up again. (It won't be long. March, April tops.) For now, anything that gets me moving a bit is a good thing. I'm also itching to try Just Dance (a dance game should be good exercise, right?), but I think that one might be a little too, um, energetic for me right now. Maybe someday.

The other game I really want to check out is Rabbids Go Home. I don't know if it will give me much exercise, but it looks entertaining. I'm keeping an eye out for a used copy. I'll let you know what I think when I find one. In the meantime I'll be golfing on my Wii.

No comments:

Post a Comment