Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Itty Bitty Yarn

I have a sock problem. Specifically, I can't make them. At least, not out of sock yarn. I can swatch with the stuff, on the exact same needles that I later use to attempt socks. The swatch looks great. The socks look terrible. I can make slipper socks out of worsted weight yarn, and they look great. In fact, they're my favorite socks to wear around the house. But the faboo, stripey, sparkly, fiddly little sock yarn socks? Disaster. Maybe I should try them on 2 circs instead of dpns? We shall see.

In the mean time, I've come up with an idea for one of my forty-eleven balls of sock yarn- I'm making a baby hat. There's a pattern on Rav called the Sweet Baby Hat that is thoroughly adorable. And it looks like a quick knit, which is good because my cousin is going to be popping one out any day now and I keep frogging or getting bored with and discarding everything I try to make for her. I finished a cute little roll brimmed hat with a bow (from Last Minute Gifts), so maybe "hats" will be my theme. Aunt Linda (grandmother-to-be) made the family baby sweater, so I can't do that. My mom made a receiving blanket, so I can't do that. But I've already got the one hat made, and this one is adorable (and also I have the yarn), and there was another super cute winter hat in the December Creative Knitting which is currently buried under a ton and a half of tangled yarn on my couch (I think) so that gives me three hats. That's a good number. Maybe I'll crank out a couple of bibs or Baby Genius burp cloths from Mason-Dixon Knitting to round out the bizarre knitting grab bag that will be my baby gift to them. That works, right?

This is gonna be a mess. I can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment